The first Phaser 3 guide to the creation of HTML5 cross platform games using Phaser 3 framework and other free software.
From the experience of more than 350 Phaser tutorials, through 203 pages and 32 source code examples you will learn how to build HTML5 cross platform games while making a real game along the way, and by the end of the book you will have a complete "2048" game polished, ready to be played and with a lot of room for customization.
- The concepts behind HTML5 cross platform development
- How to scale and resize a game to make it look nice on each device
- The structure of your first Phaser project
- Preload images, sounds, fonts and other kind of assets
- Group images into sprite sheets to optimize the game
- Add images and sprites on the stage
- Use tweens to create animations
- Wait for player input
- Process keyboard input
- Process mouse or finger input
- Use arrays to handle game information
- Move sprites
- The importance of placing sprites in front of other sprites using Z-order
- Add and play sound effects
- Design and add a game interface
- Add interactivity with buttons
- Use bitmap fonts to create text effects
- Save and load high scores using local storage
- Use Cordova + Android Studio to create a native Android app
- Force device orientation on Android devices
- Draw icons and loading screens to be used on Android devices
- Use the Scale Manager to resize your game
- Use the Full Screen API to let your audience play in full screen
- Use custom classes and lookup tables to improve code reusability
- Use a Texture Atlas to improve performance on entry level devices
Each step of the book represents a progress in the making of the game and is provided with its source code.
October 24, 2018 update: 20 pages and 18 images have been added, with a complete step by step guide to create a native Android app starting from your HTML5 games. The final Android Studio project has been added too.
February 15, 2019 update: 7 pages, 2 images and 2 source code examples have been added, with the guide to the Scale Manager and the Full Screen API
February 27, 2020 update: 6 pages, 4 images and a new code example have been added to explain how to use a Texture Atlas to improve performance on entry level devices.